It’s really hard for me to pass up a psychic reading. I believe some people can see more things going on than the rest of us and can use these gifts to help us along. I also believe some people make crap up. But too many times psychics have told me things about myself that they couldn’t possibly know, so I go back for more.
So I’m asking this nice lady in a booth at a holistic expo taking place in the civic center of a medium-sized city about the direction of my life. She asks me why I don’t consult my spirit guides. I have to laugh a little at that. Spirit guide communication is for people who have their spiritual house in order, not excitable, easily distracted people like me. I have friends who talk about and consult their spiritual guides regularly and I can only look on in curiosity.
She continues, “They’re right behind you. There are three of them. One is a man. His name is Martin. He’s been with you all your life. The other two are just here to help you through this part of your life.”
Surprisingly, I feel myself tear up. My own personal spirit guides? For me? This lovely other-worldliness is available to me?
She went on to give me Spirit Guides 101. We create goals when we decide to come back to this world and in the passage back, we forget what they are. The spirit guides help us and support us.
This seems terribly inefficient to me. Why set an important goal only to forget it then spend your life trying to remember what it was? I can hardly remember my wedding anniversary, why would I spend time looking for something I know I forgot? But this is the woo woo stuff I find fascinating, so I listened. Here’s more:
- Our spirit guides can vary in number and how long they stay with us.
- They are energetic fields and can be considered male or female.
- They have been here before, but are likely not known to us. And since they’ve been here before, they know how hard this earthly life is and that is why they are here. And, yes, they can have the name Jesus.
- BUT they will only help with things that we set out to accomplish – fulfilling our soul’s contract. If winning the lottery isn’t part of our spiritual purpose, they aren’t going to tell us the winning lottery numbers. (I had my hopes up.)
- We still have free will, so they can bombard us with clues and directions, but we can ignore them and go on bumbling along.
- They help keep us on track to fulfill our spiritual mission. Those stupid hard lessons we had to learn? They needed to happen.
- Those who meditate have an easier time communicating with their spirit guides.
They do try to communicate with us if we pay attention. For example, one afternoon the number three kept coming up. When I went to the grocery store, I tried to get a cart, but three carts were stuck together. My charge at the grocery store was exactly 33 dollars. When I left the store, three people were hanging out by the door smoking cigarettes. I told the universe I was paying attention, but nothing happened. Maybe nothing happened because I was paying attention. I don’t know.
There are lots of stories about how people get signs from their guides. One person asked the name of his guide, and the same name kept coming up – on a television program, someone yelling it on the street, seeing it on a billboard. Coincidences? We can decide.
As for me, I’m looking forward to learning more from my new friend Martin.